Thank you for your interest in applying for housing at KCDC.

Before you proceed with the application using our online portal, please review the items you’ll need to apply and our frequently asked questions.

Documents you need

Government-issued photo identification for all household members 18 years or older


Where do I go?

If you have had an ID in Tennessee:
Knox County Courthouse
300 Main St., Room 219
Knoxville, TN 37902

Strawberry Plains Driver Services Center
7320 Region Lane
Knoxville, TN 37914

Renew online at

If you have never had an ID in Tennessee:
Strawberry Plains Driver Services Center
7320 Region Lane
Knoxville, TN 37914

What do I need?

Birth certificate, Social Security card, TWO proofs of residency and two documents proving your identity (i.e., passport, marriage license, military ID, court papers)

Social Security card for all household members


Where do I go?

Social Security Office
8530 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919

What do I need?

Birth certificate or passport and photo ID (state, school, work or military ID). If born outside of the United States, you must bring proof of citizenship.

Proof of household income


Where do I go?

Must go to each source, including employer, child support office, Department of Human Services, Social Security Office, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and any other source of income.

What do I need?

Any income that you have, including wages, child support, electronic benefit transfer (EBT), Social Security and other government assistance.

Birth certificate for all household members


Where do I go?

If you were born in Tennessee after 1949:

Knox County Health Department
140 Dameron Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37917

If you were born in Tennessee before 1949, order online at OR call 615-741-1763.

If you were born in another state, search for “Vital Records Office” and the state and county of your birth.

What do I need?

Current ID, passport, military ID or employee ID.

AND two of the following with your legal name:

  • Voter registration card
  • Utility bill
  • Health insurance card
  • Signed Social Security card
  • Medical record
Do you have the documents you need?

Apply now

Applicant FAQ

If the combined annual income for you and all of your household members is less than the amount allowed by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, you may be eligible. This includes all income, including government assistance, such as unemployment, disability, EBT, child support, Social Security, etc.
To view current income limits and other requirements, visit our full HUD requirements page.
There are options for affordable housing in Knox County in addition to the subsidized housing that KCDC manages. These options may have different requirements that would better suit your needs. To find other affordable housing options, visit
To view your place on the waiting list, log in to your profile on the Participant Portal. Applicants are placed on the KCDC waiting list in order by date and time of a completed application being processed. HUD dictates preference will be given to applicants based on such criteria as disability or elderly, homeless, extremely low income, family with minor children, employment status, etc.

When your name comes to the top of the waiting list, KCDC will contact you using information on your application. Please ensure that you log in to the Participant Portal regularly to keep your contact information up-to-date.

KCDC does not provide emergency housing, but if you are in need, there are options available in Knox County by contacting the following agencies:

  • Catholic Charities of East Tennessee
  • Knoxville Area Rescue Ministries
  • The Salvation Army
  • YWCA
Due to several variables, it is not possible to tell an applicant’s exact position on the waiting list. Please see the estimated wait times below to see approximately how long an applicant might expect to wait for an available apartment. Also, please remember to update your address and/or phone number if they change, because these are ways in which a manager contacts applicants for offers.
Estimated Wait Times for KCDC Properties for Website FAQ Feb 17, 2017