HUD Requirements and How to submit an application for a KCDC property

Individuals and families may apply for KCDC owned and operated properties online anytime at KCDC uses site-based waiting lists, so applicants must designate and apply for each property in which they are interested. KCDC Admissions staff is available to assist applicants, who need or want help submitting an application. For assistance, applicants may schedule an appointment by calling KCDC’s Admissions at 865-403-1100 or 800-848-0298 (Tennessee Relay Center).

While the quickest way to submit an application is online at, KCDC will provide a paper application when an applicant requests one. To request a paper application, please call KCDC Admissions at 865-403-1100 / 800-848-0298 (Tennessee Relay Center). An application must be completed and signed by a responsible adult member of the family (preferably the head of household). The application contains information necessary for KCDC to determine the family’s eligibility and documentation verifying all household income.

The following information is needed to complete an application:

  • A copy of a Social Security card for each household member. To get a new or replacement Social Security card needed for all household members, you may be able to apply online by clicking here or call the local Social Security office for instructions regarding how to obtain a Social Security card. Knoxville’s Social Security office contact information is:

Telephone: 1-866-331-9091
TTY: 1-800-325-0778
Fax: 1-833-597-0084
Address: 9031 Cross Park Drive

What to bring? You will need a birth certificate and photo I.D. (driver’s license, state I.D., school I.D., work or military I.D.)

  • A picture I.D. for all household members who are 18 years old or older. To get a photo I.D. needed for all adult household members:
      • If you have had an I.D. in Tennessee in the past, you may go to Knox County Courthouse, 300 Main Street, Room 219, or a driver’s license office at 430 Montbrook Lane or 7320 Region Lane in Strawberry Plains.
      • If you have never had an I.D. in Tennessee before, you must go to on of the two driver’s license offices.

What to bring? Birth certificate, Social Security card, two proofs of residency (mail) and two documents proving identity (passport, marriage license, military I.D., court papers).

  • Birth certificates for each household member. To get birth certificates for all household members:
      • If you were born in Tennessee, you may go to the Knox County Health Department at 140 Dameron Ave., or you may order one online at Vitalchek (Please click here).
      • If you were born outside of Tennessee, you may order online by searching for the Vital Records Office in the state where you were born.

        What to bring? Current I.D. or passport of military I.D. or employee I.D. and any of these two items: voter registration, utility bill, health insurance card, signed Social Security card or medical records.

  • Proof of all current household income for each household member. This includes any and all payments that each household member receives through employment, Social Security, grants, loans, interest on retirement or other investments, or any other monies that are received by a household member.
  • Current contact information to include a phone number, mailing address and/or email address.
  • Proof of child custody may be required in some circumstances.
Waiting Lists

All of KCDC’s properties have waiting lists. For estimated wait times, for the various properties, please click here. 

Eligibility and Suitability

The general eligibility requirements for admission to KCDC’s housing programs include:

  • Income eligibility in that the household’s total income is at or below the income limits for the property; have at least one household member who is either a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen; (click here for current income limits)
  • Submission of Social Security numbers for all household members with a couple of exceptions for those who do not contend eligible immigration status and for those 62 or older as of Jan. 31, 2010, who can show that their initial determination of eligibility began before Jan. 31, 2010;
  • Applicant signatures on consent authorization documents;
  • The requirement that the unit for which the family is applying must be the family’s only residence;
  • An agreement by the applicant to pay the rent required by the program;
  • The stipulation that only U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens may receive rent subsidy assistance;
  • That all information reported by the family is subject to verification;
  • Screening of criminal and housing record history to make a determination that an otherwise eligible household has the ability to meet the requirements of the lease. A criminal background check will be conducted on all adult household members, including live-in aides. This check may include a national search and will include a search of the Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Registry.
Nondiscrimination Requirements

KCDC will not discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status or national origin. 

KCDC will provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. An applicant may request a reasonable accommodation by calling KCDC’s 504/ADA Coordinator Kim Mills at 865-403-1100 x1195 / 800-848-0298 (Tennessee Relay Center).

KCDC will take affirmative steps to communicate with persons who need services or information in a language other than English. For a language interpreter or to have written materials translated into other languages or other assistance to overcome language barriers, please contact KCDC Admissions at 865-403-1100 / 800-848-0298 (Tennessee Relay Center).