Located less than one mile east of Knoxville’s revitalized downtown area, the 23-acre Austin Homes site at the intersection of Summit Hill Drive and Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue. Less than one-half mile from the Old City district, the site – initially developed in 1941 – soon will serve hundreds of families again.
The property is undergoing a full redevelopment to increase the number of available affordable housing units; enhance curb appeal; add public spaces; and provide a direct connection to the Old City.
The first phase of 105 units is scheduled to be completed in November 2021. A second phase of 180 units is scheduled to open in December 2022, and at least 83 more units will be added in 2023.
Features & Amenities
- Approximately 420 residential units of mixed income housing
- Comprehensive overhaul of site infrastructure
- Improved site topography
- New layout of public roads and sidewalks
- Installation of new underground utilities
- Creation of large green space/recreation area
- Addition of community commercial facility
Knoxville, Tennessee 37915
- Harriet Tubman Park across the street
- Nearby grocery store
- Numerous nearby churches
- Knoxville Area Transit access
- Public schools: Green Elementary, Vine Middle, Austin-East High
- On-site resident services staff