The Emergency Rental Assistance Program provides funds to assist households that have unpaid rent and utilities due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This program is authorized by the federal government and administered by Knox County. Limited funding is available, and applications will be accepted until all funds are disbursed.
The Emergency Rental Assistance Program may provide relief if any of the following have occurred to you, either directly or indirectly, due to the COVID-19 outbreak:
- One or more individuals within the household has qualified for unemployment benefits.
- One or more individuals within the household has experienced any reduction in household income.
- The household has incurred significant costs such as medical expenses.
- The household has experienced other financial hardship.
To qualify, KCDC households must have an income below 80% area median income (AMI). Households with an AMI below 50% and/or those who currently are unemployed or have not worked for the past 90 days as a result of COVID-19 will be prioritized.
TO APPLY FOR FUNDING
- Start an application at knoxhousingassistance.org.
- If you apply for rental assistance and live at a KCDC-managed property, enter the following information where applicable:
- Landlord: KCDC
- Address: 901 N. Broadway, Knoxville, TN 37917
- Phone: 865-403-1100
- Email: ERA@KCDC.org
If you do not have internet access to complete the application, free technology assistance is available at the Knox County Public Library.
Questions? Call the Knox County Information Center at 2-1-1 or email email@example.com.
MORE ABOUT EMERGENCY FUNDS
The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 provides rent and utility assistance for families negatively affected by COVID-19. While it does not stop eviction for other non-payment reasons, it will provide funding for tenant families who owe back rent or utilities as a result of a reduction in hours worked or job loss. Funds are available for future rent and utility payments as well.
Aid is available for a total of 12 months with the possibility to add an additional three months based on hardship.
If approved, funding will be sent directly to your landlord or utility provider to clear outstanding balances.