Applying for Housing General Information

Families wishing to apply for KCDCs Public Housing Program will be required to complete an application for housing assistance. KCDC has a site-based waiting list. Individuals may apply at the site where they want to live. Applications will be accepted Monday Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the property management offices.

An application must be completed and signed by a responsible adult member of the family (preferably the head of household). The application contains the information necessary for KCDC to determine the familys eligibility and documentation verifying income (earned and unearned) necessary to determine total and net family income. All verification essential to determine the familys total and net income and all other documentation relating to eligibility is made a part of the applicants record. The following information is needed:

  • A copy of Social Security card for each family household member
  • A picture I.D. for all family members ages 18 and older
  • Proof of all current income information for each household member
  • A copy of birth certificates for all members of the family
  • Proof of child custody may be required in some circumstances
  • Current mailing address
  • Daytime telephone number or emergency contact number

Upon receipt of the family's application, KCDC will make a determination of eligibility. The family will be notified of the approximate wait before housing may be offered. If KCDC determines the family is ineligible, the notice will state the reasons and will offer the family the opportunity for an Informal Review of the determination.

There are five eligibility requirements for admission to public housing: have an annual income at or below the income limits; meet one of KCDCs definitions of family; have at least one family member who is either a U.S. citizen or an eligible immigrant; provide Social Security numbers for every family member age 6 or older or certify that they do not have Social Security number; and sign consent authorization documents. In addition to the eligibility criteria, families must also meet KCDC screening criteria in order to be admitted to public housing.

1. Income eligibility:

The 2019 Income Limits for admission to Knoxville’s Community Development Corporation’s (KCDC) Low Income Public Housing, Multifamily PBRA/RAD, Low Income Housing Tax Credit and Section 8 Programs published April 24, 2019, have increased since last year’s publication.

The new limits are as follows:

MSA: Knoxville, TN
Number of Persons 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Low Income Public Housing/ 80% PBRA Only $39,150 $44,750 $50,350 $55,900 $60,400 $64,850 $69,350 $73,800
Low Income Housing Tax Credit/PBRA 60% $29,400 $33,600 $37,800 $41,940 $45,300 $48,660 $52,020 $55,380
Low Income Housing Tax Credit/PBRA 50% $24,500 $28,000 $31,500 $34,950 $37,750 $40,550 $43,350 $46,150
Very Low Income (Section 8 Programs) 50% $24,500 $28,000 $31,500 $34,950 $37,750 $40,550 $43,350 $46,150
Extremely Low 30% $14,700 $16,910 $21,300 $25,750 $30,170 $34,590 $39,010 $43,430

Low-income families are defined as families whose incomes do not exceed 80 percent of the median family income for the area, subject to adjustments for areas with unusually high or low incomes or housing costs.

Very low-income families are defined as families whose incomes do not exceed 50 percent of the median family income for the area, subject to specified adjustments for areas with unusually high or low incomes.

Extremely low income families are defined as families whose incomes do not exceed the higher of the Federal Poverty level or 30% of the Area Median Income.

Knoxville, Tennessee MSA FY 2017 MFI (family of 4) = $69,900

2. Definition of Family:

  • family with or without children. Such a family is defined as a group of people related by blood, marriage, adoption or affinity that live together in a stable family relationship.
  • An elderly family is a family whose head, spouse, or sole member is at least 62 years of age.
  • near-elderly family is a family whose head, spouse, or sole member is at least 50 years of age but below the age of 62.
  • disabled family is a family whose head, spouse, or sole member is a person with disabilities.
  • displaced family is a family in which each member, or whose sole member, has been displaced by governmental action, or whose dwelling has been extensively damaged or destroyed as a result of a disaster declared or otherwise formally recognized pursuant to Federal disaster relief laws.
  • remaining member of a tenant family provided they meet all other eligibility requirements.
  • single person who is not an elderly or displaced person, a person with disabilities, or the remaining member of a tenant family.

3. Citizenship/Eligible Immigrant Status:

To be eligible, each member of the family must be a citizen, national, or a noncitizen who has eligible immigration status under one of the categories set forth in Section 214 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1980 (see 42 U.S.C. 1436a(a)). A family shall not be eligible for assistance unless every member of the family residing in the unit is determined to have eligible status, with the exceptions noted below.

  • Despite the ineligibility of one or more family members, a mixed family may be eligible for one of three types of assistance.
  • A family without any eligible members and receiving assistance on June 19, 1995 may be eligible for temporary deferral of termination of assistance.

4. Documentation of Social Security Number:

Social Security Number Documentation: To be eligible, all family members (including children) must provide a Social Security number or certify that a family member, who is at least six years of age, has not been assigned a Social Security number.

5. Signing Consent Forms:

In order to be eligible, each member of the family who is at least 18 years of age, and each family head and spouse regardless of age, shall sign one or more consent forms.

6. Criminal background check:

Will be conducted on all adult household members, including live-in aides. This check will be made through State or local law enforcement or court records in those cases where the household member has lived in the local jurisdiction for the last three years. Where the individual has lived outside the local area, KCDC may contact law enforcement agencies where the individual has lived or request a check through the FBIs National Crime Information Center (NCIC). A check of the States lifetime sex offender registration program for each adult household member, including live-in aides must be made. No individual registered with this program will be admitted to public housing.